Presented by Anne Douglas
(If you have any Crosthwaite News clickto contact Anne)
Westmorland Gazette 21st May
IN RESPONSE to government advice, most groups and organisations in Crosthwaite have suspended their planned meetings and activities for the foreseeable future, and have informed their members.
During the current Covid 19 Emergency, the Community of The Two Valleys (Lyth and Winster) have formed a support group. There is a team of willing volunteers able to offer help to anyone of any age who may need it. This may be a listening ear, regular phone calls, practical help with shopping and collecting medication, setting up laptops, tablets and phones to enable people to engage with social media, maintain social contact, or anything else that people are unable to do, or need to do, as a result of taking precautions against the spread of the virus.
The group is being co-ordinated by Rev. Michael Woodcock.
Whether you need help now, or if you live alone and think you may need help in the future, should you become ill, please ring this number: 016395 68276
THE MINUTES of the April meeting of Crosthwaite and Lyth Parish Council have not previously been published here, however they are included now as they clarify and inform the subsequent developments described in the published minutes of the May meetings. Apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
- The Council proposed temporary changes to Standing Orders. In light of the current situation it is proposed that for this agenda the Council does not meet in person, but parishioners comments and Council decisions will be made at a meeting by Webinar for discussion.
- In the event that the full council is not available for the May meeting, or that decisions are needed urgently it is proposed that powers are delegated to the Chairman and Vice Chairman to make the necessary decisions.
- It was proposed that the Council adopts the Local Authorities and Police and Crime Panels (Corona virus)(Flexibility of Local Authority and Police and Crime Panel Meetings)(England and Wales) Regulations 2020 and the necessary parts added to the Standing Orders.
- Responding to the news of Peter Sherrratt’s sad and sudden passing, the Council resolved to join the wider community in ‘recording the enormous contribution he had made to our community’. Cllr Robert Sykes took the opportunity to support the comments regarding Peter Sherratt and what an enormous contribution he made to the community.
- Resignations - Cllr Mary Harkenss – with immediate effect from 16 March. The Clerk was asked to write to Mary Harkness thanking her for her years of service, fourteen in total with five as Chair, and her dedication given to the community through the Parish Council.
- Cllr Bruce Worsley – after the May meeting. The Clerk was asked to write in May to Cllr Bruce Worsley thanking him for nine years of service and dedication given to the community through the Parish Council.
- It is proposed that the clerk advises SLDC of the vacancies, seeking advice before posting the vacancy notices to the Notice Boards, and Web Site.
- In light of the current situation Cllr Roger Smith wished to withdraw his resignation made at the March meeting, and confirmed he was content to remain on the Council until May 2021.
- Litter Pick: Cllr Eve Brooke said that some picking had been done but that it has stopped now until the crisis is over.
- Speed Restrictions and Road Safety - It is proposed that Cllr Roger Smith provides the clerk with files to add to the community web site and linked to the Newsletter to ask for the views of parishioners.
- All future meetings will take place on 1st Tuesday of the month, and until further notice will be held via Zoom. Anyone wishing to attend should contact Martin French at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full minutes are available on the parish website, www.crosthwaiteandlyth.co.uk
THERE is to be a ‘pop up shop’ in the car park of the Village Hall each Tuesday between 5.30 and 6.30pm, where a range of goods including fresh meat, fruit, vegetables, bakery goods and pizza will be on offer.