Families of the Lyth Valley

 

Back to Families of the Lyth Valley
Back to "Families of Crosthwaite and Lyth"
Back to Home Page

Houses and Farms on the Howe

INDEX MAP

Click on the name below to jump to the relevant section.

 

Howe Lodge

The present house, built in the 1800s, replaced an older one.

1844

William Braithwaite re-roofed a building used for storage.

1871

Mary Braithwaite farming 15 acres (Census)

1881

William Wilkinson, farmer and gamekeeper (Census)

1874

Sold by Exors of Thomas Braithwaite – purchased by Rev. Canon Argles for £1,700.

1914

John Jackson, tenant farmer.

1926

John Jackson - sale of farming stock.

1926

Sold by the Argles family – purchased by Hartley Trotter
Senior for £1,250.

1926 to 1960

Hartley Trotter Junior tenant farmer.

1960 to 1965

John Hartley Trotter tenant farmer.

1965

John Hartley Trotter became owner (re. will of Hartley Trotter Senior).

2010

Tenants Gary and Mandy Parsons.

Back to Index Map

Howe Lodge Barn

Howe Lodge Barn was converted in 2000 from a bank barn which was originally built in the early 1800s.
Owner 2010 John Hartley Trotter.
Tenants 2010 – Phil and Tessa Jefferson.

Back to Index Map

Orchardene

It was built in1969 for J H Trotter as a retirement home for V M Trotter.  Violet Trotter spent some years in a care home in Kendal before she died on the 23rd June 1997. The property was then used as a holiday home, let through Country Holidays, up until 2006. The bungalow was then extended and Hartley and Margaret Trotter made it their retirement home, moving into the bungalow on 20th December  2007.

Back to Index Map

High Barn

Converted by Mr Black from a bank barn, the barn had been built early 1800s and was used by Howe Farm tenants for cattle and fodder housing.

Crosthwaite Church, the owners, were granted planning permission to Convert the barn to a single dwelling that at the time was a semi derelict barn. It was sold by auction in The Town Hall, Kendal 10th July 2000 and fetched £161,000. After completing the
conversion Mr Black lived in it for about six months before selling to Mr Brian Anderson who had the garden landscaped, a double garage built, the outbuildings made into a granny flat and the drive surfaced with patterned concrete.

The present owners Mr and Mrs Jim Mitchell purchased High Barn January 2006.

Back to Index Map

Howe Cottage

Pre 21st February 1903

Mr Richard Prickett owner

From 21st February 1903

Mr William Prickett owner

1940s

Frank Looker tenant

From 30th November 1949

Mrs Laura Agnes Park owner

1950

Alan Nelson tenant

From 24th June 1952

Miss Young owner

From 11th June 1956

Mrs Sheila Margaret Bigham owner

From 27th November 1983

Mrs Jennifer Elliot and Mr Michael Bigham joint owners

From 23rd May 1983

Mr Michael Bigham owner

From mid 1990

Mr Michael and Mrs Christine Bigham tenants in common.

 

Back to Index Map

Howe Farm

1825

The sale of Howe Farm was advertised and Thos Whitwell, the tenant "will show the property which has a nearly new barn". The barn was constructed in about 1820.

1835

"Howe Farm To Let" - house, buildings, 2.5 acres of pasture, plus 58 acres of arable.

1841

Matthew Walling was tenant farmer until 1871

1888

Sale of farming stock for Mrs M. Walling

1890

John Walling tenant farmer

1901

Stricklands farming at Howe Farm

1914

William Strickland tenant farmer

1925

Sale of farming stock for J & M Strickland

1926

John Airey tenant farming 62 acres rent £110 p.a.

1926

Sale of Howe Farm for the Argles family – not sold – later sold to Major L S Hoggarth

1930

William Walling tenant farmer

1946

James Walling moved to Mislet Farm, Windermere He was William Wallings son

1950

Hannah Walling died aged 78

1955

William Walling died aged 87

1955

Sale of furniture for William Walling deceased

1957

Les and Ann Park moved from Howe Farm House to Rusmickle Farm, Leslie Park having been farm servant for  the Wallings

1965

Mr & Mrs Hallas moved from Howe Farm House to Crosthwaite. Reg Hallas had been employed as a farm worker by George Walling

1970

Mr & Mrs Bainbridge tenants

 

Roy Bainbridge their son worked at Howe Farm and Dawson Fold

1985

Sold by Crosthwaite Church to Mr & Mrs Somerville for £70,000 Mrs Somerville sold to Michael Naminsky

2010

Stephen Walling from Dawson Fold tenant of Howe Farm land which is owned by Crosthwaite Church

 

Back to Index Map

Low Howe Farm

1815 to 1949

Owned by the Prickett Family

1851

James Strickland farming 10 acres

1920s

Mr and Mrs Greaves Tenants (market gardening)

1930s

Mr and Mrs Rockliffe Tenants (farmer stonemason)

1949

Purchased by Mrs Laura Park from the Pricketts

1950

Mr and Mrs Plumber Tenants 

1953 to 1959

Mr and Mrs Alan Nelson Tenants (farmer Builder)

1959 to 1982

Mrs Laura Park Owner Occupier

1982

Purchased by Mrs L Smith who sold the House with adjoining Barn and small orchard to Mr Mike Whelan. He converted the barn and cow sheds into a Holiday Flat and then sold the estate to Mr and Mrs Beaton

Back to Index Map

Lyndale

Built 1974 for Mr and Mrs Chris Smith

Back to Index Map

Thornrigg

Built 1969  for Mr and Mrs Colin Park

Back to Index Map

Highfield

A bungalow built in 1964 for Dr Knowles and Miss Whitaker on land that had been part of Cragg Farm.

Miss Whitaker died in 1968 and the property was then purchased by Mr and Mrs Stubbs who had an interest in Accrington Brush Company.  Mr and Mrs Eric Smith were the next owners before selling to Mr and Mrs Rob Pemberton.

The Pembertons added an ensuite bedroom to the bungalow, changed the garage to a garden room before having a new double garage built. Rob Pemberton was involved in the manufacture of meat products. When the Pembertons moved to Spain Mr and Mrs Armstrong  purchased the Bungalow but only used it as a weekend retreat.

The present owners are Mr and Mrs Baker.

Back to Index Map

Howe Fell Cottage Also known as Howe Cottage and  School House

1863

Mr Kemp occupied the cottage

1900

The Argles family owned the property

1900s

Mr and Mrs  Looker Tenants  ( tile drainage expert)

1926

Mr Charles Looker  Tenant  Rent £7 

1940

Miss Mary Davidson (lodger - schoolteacher)

1949

Mr Edward ( Ted ) Looker purchased from the Argles

1954

Mr Charles Looker died

1960

Cottage let for holidays

1963

Purchased by Mr and Mrs Cuff £2,500

1972

Purchased by Mr and Mrs Brian Priestley £10,250

1978

Purchased by Mr John Doodson £30,000

2008

Mr John Doodson died

2010

Cottage  bid to £370,000 at auction in the Lyth Valley Hotel. Not sold

Back to Index Map

Howe School

1870

 

Frank Atkinson Argles gave the land to build Howe School which had to be capable of seating 30 – 40 Pupils

1871

Advertising for a headmistress

1872

Miss Jane Firther appointed headmistress salary £35

1873

Miss Margaret Park headmistress salary £40

1879

Miss Harriet Maurey headmistress

1882

Miss Mary Cranshaw headmistress

1883

Miss Esther Morgan headmistress to be followed by Miss Isabella Metcalf and Miss Cornthwaite

1888

Miss Emma Stone salary £80

1894

Miss Newson who was asked to resign

1900

Mr Mark Hatfield salary £60  (the only male teacher)
He was followed by Miss Agnes Jackson Miss Ellen Clark and Miss Jane Wood (sewing mistress)

1902

The school was running at a loss resulting in the threatened closure and sending the Pupils to Crosthwaite School

1906

There was no appointed teacher; Miss Crawford teaching on a temporary basis 31 children

1907

Miss Bertha Coles salary £65 teaching 38 children

1907

School dental service started

1908

School optician service started

1911

Miss Kate Abrahms teaching 16 children

1911

School leaving age increased from 12 to 13

1915

The School was closed for 6 weeks due to a measles epidemic. Also coughing sickness croup chickenpox and.ringworm were also affecting the pupils

1917

School closed again due to an outbreak of Scarlet fever

1918

School leaving age increased from 13 to 14

1919

Miss Hariet Wolfe  became headmistress

1919

Influenza at epidemic level in the school

1923

Miss Mildred Hallam headmistress

1925

Miss Binns headmistress and Miss Carson her assistant

1926 and 1936

The school suffered measles outbreaks

1933

Free school milk for the pupils was started

1933

Miss Agnes Whitwell headmistress resigned but Howe School continued

1935

Miss Mary Davidson appointed as headmistress and remained as teacher until the schools closure 1946 when the 7 children were transported by taxi to Crosthwaite School

1936

School leaving age raised from 14 to 15 due to start 1939

1938

Scarlet Fever  was a recorded illness in the school

1939

School Pupil numbers doubled as a result of Evacuees arriving from Newcastle

1942

Electricity was installed in the school

1949

Dan and Vera Shepherd purchased the school buildings and surrounding woodland. They raised the roof on the school and converted it into a two storey dwelling

2001

Mr Chris Smith was the successful purchaser paying £195,000 when the Property was auctioned in the Town Hall Kendal

Back to Index Map

Barn Howe

Originally known as Parks Cottage and changed to Barn Howe by Mr Fred Thomas.

1851

Thomas Cummings occupier 

1863
(Westmorland Gazette) 

Sale of cottage with 2 acres occupier Thomas Cummings

1859 December 10th
(Kendal Mercury)

Report of a brutal assault at Lyth.  Thomas Cummings beat James Strickland with a stake, both residents of The Howe.

1878
(Westmorland Gazette)

Sale of cattle and effects for Mr Cummings

1880

Jonathan Walling tenant.  He left to farm at Fellside Farm

1926

Argles sold to the Millburns for £425

1950’s

Mr & Mrs Robertson purchased the cottage.  Mr Robertson had retired as Governor of Borneo

1960’s

Mr & Mrs Fred Thomas became the new owners.  They left to live with their daughter, Nancy, in Jersey

1988

Professor Idris & Kathleen Williams purchased Barn Howe

Back to Index Map

Cragg Howe and Home Cottage

A small farm originally known as Cragg farm

Deaths

Baptisms

Jane  Briggs

1733

Thompson 

1705

Jane  Briggs

1734

 

 

Hannah  Dickinson 

1756

 

 

 

1733

Report of death of Jane Briggs of the Cragg

1836
(Westmorland Gazette)

Cragg Farm to let 18 acres

1840

Mr Martindale tenant

1858

James Maudsley tenant 30 acres

1867

To let James Maudsley tenant owner Canon Argles

1871

Mr Philipson tenant 27 acres

1899

Sale of farming stock for Mr Philipson

1900

Sale of farm produce

1908

Mr R Strickland tenant

1914

William Medcalf tenant rent £52

1926

Sale of 14 cattle 2 horses poultry and potatoes

1926

Sale of Cragg Farm with vacant possession for the Argles family but no bid received.

1927

Sale of 2 carts 2 horses lorry and effects (rent arrears)

 

The property was eventually purchased by Mr and Mrs Brooks.who developed a water worn rockery business removing large pieces of limestone from Whitbarrow and transporting them to Milnthorpe Station to be taken by rail to far away places. 

1939

At the outbreak of war Cragg Farm became the operating centre for machinery owned by the War Agriculture Commitee to be used for food production in the Lyth Valley and surrounding districts. 

 

Mr and Mrs Coleman were the next owners they had the first TV on The Howe and invited locals to view the Royal Wedding.The Colemans were followed by Mr and Mrs Hope then Mr and Mrs

 

Webster.  Mr Webster was a writer who left the Cragg to pursue his ambition of becoming an MP. Mr and Mrs Whitaker then purchased the Cragg. They had retired from the cotton spinning industry  and had the kitchen extension built. 

1985

Adrian and Penny Parr converted Cragg barn into a house for themselves naming it Home Cottage and have since made the stable into a flat for their daughter Victoria.

2009

After the deaths of Mr and Mrs Whitaker the house was put up for auction in the Town Hall Kendal and sold to Tony and Heather Marshall in May 2009 for £530,000.They also purchased 5 .5 acres of grazing land for £18,000

 

 

Back to Index Map

Overholme

Built 25th April 1968 for James and Cuthbert Inman.
James died 11 November 1970 – Cuthbert died June 1978.
The bungalow was then willed to Grenville and Alice Howes.  Grenville died January 2002.
Alice Howes still lives in the bungalow (2010).

Back to Index Map

Whitbarrow Cottage

A stone built Cottage owned by the Landowners of Crosthwaite and
Lyth with outbuildings and Damson orchard

1851
(census)

William Braithwaite  occupier

1897

Nov 17th (Westmorland Gazette) Death of James Strickland who was living at Whitbarrow cottage.

1901

Mathew Walling living at the cottage, his wife was formerly Mary Strickland of Whitbarrow Cottage.

1908

(Westmorland Gazette)

R Strickland working in the quarries on Whitbarrow. At least two generations of the Strickland family lived at the Cottage. A George Moss, who was a Stonemason, was also a tenant of the Cottage. The Metcalf family were also tenants of the property in the 1940s. Robert, the son, worked at Ashes Farm, Staveley.  Margaret Metcalf, the daughter, was house servant to Major and Mrs Hoggarth of Dawson Fold.  Another daughter (Jinny) married James Walling of Dawson Fold and one married Mr Walker who was Licensee of the Hare and Hounds Bowland Bridge before moving to the Plough at Selside.  

1950

Mr and Mrs Frank Looker became tenants.

1996

Mr and Mrs Mathew Park were chosen to be tenants.

Back to Index Map

Draw Well

 

Deaths

Baptisms

Frances Garnett

1661

Ann Garnett

1669

Margaret Garnett

1667

Robert Bell  

1724

Ellina Garnett 

1692

William Taylor

1744

Jane Varay 

1724

Mary Huertson

1748

Jane Fisher 

1732

Chris Philipson

1757

Robert Crossfield

1734

Robert Noble 

1758

Mary Redhead 

1734

Robert Philipson  

1761

John Dixon

1734

Ann Wright 

1771

Hannah Kilner

1735

Betty Cloase

1775

John Philipson

1756

Richard Inman 

1811

Richard Inman

1812

 

 

 

1669

John Garnett of Draw Well mentioned in seating arrangement in Chapel

1734

Mary Redhead  Burial

1758

James Noble Burial

1800

Richard Inmans parents  farming 

1812

Richard Inman  Burial

1830

Will of Robert Harrison late of Nether Levens states that he was the owner of  Draw Well and Agnes Philipson  had been the previous owner

1851

John Inman farming 48 acres

1858

Edward Inman farmer

1898

Thomas Inman farmer

1900

James Inman farmer

1916

Sale of potatoes at Toll Bar Lyth for James Inman

1918

Sale of Cattle Hay and Straw for James Inman

1926

Argles Estate sale James Inman purchased Draw Well for £1,900. He had been paying £90 rent per annum for 49 acres

1968

Sale of farming stock and furniture for Inman brothers

1969

Sale of Draw Well farmhouse attached barn washhouse and two small orchards. Purchased by Mr and Mrs Arnold for £13,610.
Dutch Barn piggery shippon and adjoining orchards purchased by Mr Peter Bracewell.
10 Acres Savin Hill Toll Bar purchased by Mr J H Trotter
16 Acres Savin Hill purchased by Mr Desmond Holmes
6 Acres Swan Nest field purchased by Mr Edgar Park
1.5 Acres Peat Moss purchased by a private buyer

1989

The Arnolds sold Draw Well  and attached  barn (with planning) to Mrs Jenny Cartwright

1990

Jenny Cartwright moved into the barn conversion (Inman Howe) selling Draw Well to Mr and Mrs Satchell. The Satchells sold to Peter and June Robinson and they sold to Alistaire and Penny Mutch who have had a garage and store built.

2001

Jenny Cartwright sold the barn conversion to Mr and Mrs Keith Taylor. They have since had a single garage built

Back to Index Map

Greenacre Barn

Originally a Dutch Barn used by the Inman Family of Draw Well to store hay. Converted to a house by Peter Bracewell in the 1970s, they also had two greenhouses erected which they used to root Leylandii Tree cuttings.  The house and adjoining land with cottage was put on the market and sold to Mr and Mrs Thornley who sold it to Mr and Mrs Richardson who had part of the garage altered for use in their Photographic business. Mr and Mrs Bevan were the next owners and they had a new double garage built  and sold the piggery building with planning permission to Mr Adrian Baker. He converted this building into a one bedroom flat naming it The Field Barn.

Back to Index Map

Greenacre Barn Cottage

This property, belonging to Draw Well, was converted from a cowshed by Peter Bracewell in the 1970s. After living in the cottage for a short time the Bracewells sold it to Mr and Mrs Thornley who gave it to their daughter. The cottage was again put on the market in 1988 with offers over £99,500 and was purchased by Mr and Mrs Clements. Their son John Clements now owns the property and has it let to Mr and Mrs Franklin.

Back to Index Map

Greenacre Bungalow

Built in the 1960s for Mr and Mrs Bracewell, on a field sold by Mrs Laura Park, the field had planning permission for a dwelling
and was sold for £1,150 to the Bracewells.  The Bungalow has had several owners since the Bracewells sold it to Mr and Mrs Ascough. They were followed by Mr and Mrs Lang then Mr and Mrs Barton and the present owners are Mr and Mrs Saul.

Back to Families of the Lyth Valley
Back to Families of Crosthwaite and Lyth
Back to Home Page